(Article taken from The Bintang Silver Jubilee 1982. Author unknown)
See also our Wikipedia entry “BBBSS” (or alternatively click here)
It was the keen foresight of the then Principal of Bukit Bintang Girls’ School, Miss Mary Glasgow, which actually led to the establishment and building of this school. Her vision of a brother school inspired her and Mr. David Angus, the first Chairman of the Board of Governors, to establish this school and lead it during the formative years. There would have been no Bukit Bintang Boys’ Secondary School without Miss Glasgow, and we owe our deepest appreciation to her foresightedness, services, prayers and [sic] financial and whole- hearted support for the setting up of the school and its development. Her successor at Bukit Bintang Girls’ School, Miss Elena Cooke, continued the good work.
Once the idea of setting up a brother school was formulated, the next question was, where it was going to be situated. It was at this time (1957-1958) that Petaling Jaya was opening up and starting a boys’ school here seemed encouraging and favourable. It was Miss Glasgow who walked the hills of Petaling Jaya and picked the site where the school is now situated. But before the foundation of any building was laid, the secondary level education of the Bukit Bintang Boys’ School was conducted in the left wing of the Bukit Bintang Boys’ Primary School. This was in early 1958.
When the school was being built, the Malay Mail called it the brother school of Bukit Bintang Girls School and named it Bukit Bintang Boys’ Secondary School. This name stuck on and ever since that day that was and is still [sic] the name of our school.
It was only in the beginning of 1961 that the secondary school was moved to where it is now, and each form (Form 1 to 5) consisted of one class only. The official opening ceremony of the school was held in 1962, together with a big exhibition. The Chairman of the Board of Governors had, prior to the moving, approached Mr. McGregor in Scotland and asked him to take on the part as Headmaster of the new school. Mr. McGregor accepted, and this was his first appointment in Malaysia During the period when Mr. McGregor was the headmaster, the school underwent a series of expansions and developments. The school library was then situated in our present Biology laboratory with the present library as the art and geography classrooms. Mr. McGregor is the person responsible for our present school song.
The first group of students sat for the Cambridge Examination in 1962 Mr. McGregor left our school in 1965. Mr. David Boler joined our school’s staff as the new headmaster in 1966, The school buildings consisted of two blocks and our present hall. The first block extends from the staff room to the sixth form classes. The second block extends from our biology laboratory until the end of our present 4 Science1. The sixth form classes were introduced in 1969. When the medium of instruction for lessons was switched to Bahasa Malaysia, the school song was translated to Bahasa Malaysia.
Mr. Boler designed a new badge when he replaced Mr. McGregor. Mrs. Yeoh was requested to draw and print the badge. The top left hand corner of the badge depicts hills which stands for Bukit’ followed by the top right hand corner which shows a star which stands for ‘Bintang’. The bottom left hand corner shows our national flower which stands for ‘Malaysia’ and finally the last portion of the badge with the design of a roof above the letters ‘P.J.’ means that our school is situated in Petaling Jaya. The shape that resembles a gear below the letters ‘PJ.’ symbolizes that Petaling Jaya is an industrialised area. Mr. Boler also redesigned the school tie by adding the design of our school badge on to the plain olive green tie. After that Mr. Boler tried to convert the school field into a field with a 400 meters track but he failed because of lack of space. However he managed to enlarge the field to twice of its former size.
In 1976, a new science block was built which [sic] cost $200,000. This block consists of three science laboratories and a lecture theatre. This block was named the ‘Boler Block’ in honour of Mr. David Boler. At present, the current project which is still in construction is a new canteen and a gymnasium which will cost close to half a million.
Our school is 25 years old this year. During these twenty five long years, much had been achieved by our students and staff of this beloved school. There is no doubt that we will continue to accomplish a lot more and that we will be ready to face the challenges of life with confidence. Let us all keep the school flag flying forever and always uphold our school motto, ‘Nisi Dominus Frustra’ – ‘Without God all is Vanity’.
The Bintang Silver Jubilee 1982